Sunday 31 March 2013

Happy Easter

Honestly, I am so glad for good people.

I'm a big believer in self-sufficiency and doing things yourself, but there are just times when you need help.  Luckily for me, I was able to meet a fellow that was able to help me out of bind.

Let me back up.  Now that I have housing secured, I'm faced with the next big mountain:  furnishings.

That actually wouldn't be much of a problem; in fact, it could be fun to go buy stuff for a new home, BUT 1) I don't have any van/car to haul it around and 2) I'm a guy with no good taste for style in home furnishing.

The 2nd problem Liz will have to deal with once she gets here, but there MUST be something at least in place otherwise she may just head back to the airport and fly back to South Carolina.

Enter my friend and lifesaver, Tom.  I met Tom last week in church where he offered to help me out if I needed it, since he often has mornings available and his own van/truck.  I took him up on his offer.

So Saturday morning he came to my hotel (March 30th, 2013) and collected me and we drove to Dunnes first.  Not a lot in the way of selection, so we headed to Ikea.  That was the next big lifesaver.

Really, I've never been a fan of Ikea.  It seemed like such a fad, and no one shopped there other than to say "oh yeah, I bought this at Ikea" as if bragging about cheap Swedish furniture was all the rage.  My outlook changed when I saw what you could buy and at what prices.  So what if it falls apart in 2 years?  I'm going to be GONE in 2 years anyway!  It doesn't have to last forever!!

The first run was all about getting the necessities down, so kitchen items, bath items, and my bedroom.  Ah snap!  I forgot my bed's size, but that's OK I can at least get the blankets and pillows.

Right, now time to check out. Waiting for the balance . . . Only 280 euro!  50 of it was the VAT, bah! Still, not too bad, I am pleased and a huge step in getting the place furnished.

Now what am I going to do with it all??  Again, Tom the lifesaver steps in.  He'll keep at all at his house and then deliver it to my new house on Tuesday evening when I arrive.  What would I do without Tom?

On top of all the running me around and otherwise bailing me out, he invited me to his house for dinner that night.  I got to meet his family, and had a wonderful evening with yummy food and great conversation.

Again, I am so grateful for good people willing to help out.

Today, Sunday, I had a very quiet day.  I went to church, and then called home and talked to Liz and the kids.  I also called and had a good chat with my mom.  I also discovered Google phone, and found I could dial home for 1 cent per minute!!! Amazing!

Tomorrow, it's the beginning of the end, that is, the end of the hotel phase.  I have to start arranging my stuff and try to figure how to cart it to work and then to my new home.

It's a little scary to think that work starts Tuesday, the whole reason I'm out here.  Always a little anxious; never know just what to expect.

This is the first Easter since my mission where I didn't have family near me.  I honestly never want to do this again, that is, be apart from my family for such a long time.  I miss my kids a lot.  It's very hard for me knowing the kids' difficulty and discomfort associated with being uprooted and stowed away.  I am very grateful for Jenni putting them up, as at least they have family to stay with while I'm here and Liz works on the house.  Good people helping us out, or I would never have been able to make this happen.

Last but not least, happy Easter to everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there - and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of good people helping me out over here too. If it weren't for their help none of this would be even close to possible.

    I've only ever been to IKEA once. I'm excited to get the chance to be an IKEA person. =)

    Happy Easter to you too, babe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you wonder how people who aren't members of a church with helpful members ever move anywhere? How upsetting it would be. Thank goodness for good people!

    ReplyDelete