Monday 6 January 2014

Resolutions

So, I've been meaning to get back into the swing of things with this blog, mostly because it is something I feel is important and will be valuable in the distant future, something of a journal more than anything.

One thing for sure, the posts are going to be reduced in size, but hopefully increased in number.  The 7 month gap I had in posts was too long.  So much transpired in that period that should have been documented but wasn't.  Lots of thoughts and feelings, highs, lows; they need to be captured.

So, I'll repent, get back into writing.

Should I mention that I have a new little tablet computer that will make updating the blog ever-so easy?  It's something I can take with me anywhere, take pictures, access the internet, etc.  Liz got it for me for Christmas and now I really don't have any excuse for not documenting the Ireland experience.

But where to start?

Why not with an ordinary Monday?  Monday, January 6th, 2014 to be exact.  We're all back into school and work now, the holidays are, after today (the Feast of the Epiphany) officially over.  It really does feel like we're just . . . living here!

It has been a slow but unmistakable transition, going from American tourists to American residents in Ireland; then what comes next?  That's a very hard question to answer right now.  I honestly don't know where I'm going to go after the two years here are concluded.  It could be possible that we stay but at this point there's no indication we will, or even can, stay.  Not unless my job is extended and my immigration status is upgraded (and a pay raise to sweeten the deal wouldn't hurt, either).

To that point, I should say that Sariah and Aaron both repeatedly claim to miss America.  I think Aaron just doesn't like school, which he'd have to go to no matter where we lived, ha ha.  Sariah seems the most homesick, which really isn't missing the US as much as she misses one of her best friends, her cousin Eve.

The rest of us are content with our situation right now, and the complete unknown of where we'll go next year is of little concern.  You'd think that should bother us, but it doesn't; we feel good that something will come along at that time and the transition will happen as it should.  Hopefully I'm right!

We are hoping that as the weather improves this spring we'll begin doing our weekend getaway trips again.  Liz and I spent a few minutes yesterday compiling a big list of places in Ireland that we either haven't seen or want to see again.  As we were doing so we had that stark realization that this could be our last summer in this beautiful place.  Better make the most of it!

We've also had a lot of verbal commitments from friends and family to come out and visit us.  So far, nothing certain, but I hope that someone does because we'd love to share this place with them.  Give them a taste of what we've experienced.

Liz and I also have a list of places we want to see outside of Ireland.  We both got one big trip last year, and I'm hoping we can double it this year, each.  I'm also hoping to attend my 10 year business school anniversary in Seattle this summer.  Needless to say, it's going to be a very busy year if all these plans come to their fruition. 

Now, sort of a random experience I had while talking to a co-worker who was sharing an experience he had with his boys around Christmastime.  Classic Irish storytelling, I only wish I could capture the accent in his words here.  He basically described taking his boys to mass for Christmas, and while they were there . . .

Priest:  And our Saviour, Jesus Christ . . .
Son: DAD! He said Jesus!
Father: it's OK, we're in church, he can say  that here.
Priest:  . . . who redeemed us from hell . . .
Son: DAD! He said HELL!
Father: No, it's ok, we're in church, we can say that here
Priest:  . . . and saved us from damnation . . .
Son:  DAD! He said damn!
Father: No, really, it's OK, that's a bible word, it's ok!
Priest: And Mary and Joseph took the baby Jesus and fled into Egypt . . .
Son: DAD! He said eejit!  That's NOT in the bible!

I laughed so hard at this story, one of my favourites so far.

I have so many stories just like this, snippets from an awesome Irish life I get to experience for a short time with some wonderful people.  It's almost like serving another mission, one I get to share with my family and one where I can sleep in on weekends.  I still have to wear a suit 5 days of the week, though, interestingly enough . . .

OK, so I promised to keep it short, and I will.  I'm hoping to write more, with pictures and commentary as I have done.  Till then, good night!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're up and blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love those Irish stories. One of our favorite things, too, was the way they give directions: "You go..oh, about halfway down the road, and then turn right. Then go maybe a third of the way down that road..." Not to mention the cows in the road. Awesome. But that was just in tourist mode. Perhaps in real-person mode, you need fewer directions.
    Thanks for updating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as directions go in Dublin they say things like "turn left at Crowe's Pub, then travel 'bout half mile until you see the Horse Show Pub, then right until the corner of Gulliver's Pub and the Station House Pub"

    ReplyDelete